.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fixin' Healthcare

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The Lifestyle Chronicles - Bet To Win

I grow old ... I grow old ...
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think they will sing to me.

from The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock
by T. S. Eliot

When I was young, I thought about medicine and I spent many years caring for the sick. Now that I am older, there has grown an appreciation and perspective for health.

Good health is more than the absence of illness and disease. Good health does not indicate the need for medical care nor does it require the use of health insurance. At any given point in time, the majority of the population place few demands upon medical care or health insurance.

The desire for good health does not assure good health. But, "the desire for good health" is more likely than "the fear of illness and disease" to be associated with good health. America must take great care to avoid fear overwhelming hope.

If the endpoint is death and the objective is good health, then the goal is to die in good health avoiding accidents, homicide and suicide.

Think about it. Plan for it. Do it.

Technorati Tags: , ,