The Lifestyle Chronicles - NGA Creating Healthy States
Wellness Where We Live
- Educate the public about existing community resources to raise awareness of services and opportunities.
- Partner with community organizations to communicate health information and encourage healthy lifestyles.
- Promote civic and personal responsibility for better health.
- Improve access to healthy options in disadvantaged communities.
- Publicly share efforts by the governor's family to get and stay healthy.
- Implement a yearly health risk assessment for all state employees.
- Improve the "health" of state workplaces.
- Provide access to health coaching and other preventive services for state employees and retirees.
- Raise employer awareness of and employee participation in worksite wellness programs.
- Form coalitions and advisory groups across the public and priovate sectors.
- Encourage parental engagement in student health.
- Conduct yearly assessments of individual student wellness.
- Promote regular physical activity during the school day.
- Support local school districts in efforts to develop healthy food policies.
- Use local chefs and farmers to offer attractive, healthier options to students.
The next postings will present specific actions of states that address each of these items.
Technorati Tags: lifestyle, health, prevention