.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fixin' Healthcare

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Unintended Consequences

I don't fault scientists for research on compounds to benefit health or the press for jumping the gun to report preliminary findings of scientific research. And I don't suppose I fault pharmaceutical companies for exploiting scientific research, I just wish they would discontinue advertising illness, disease and real or perceived health disorders. However, all of this influences the public mind-set to interfere with healthy behaviors and leads to unintended and dangerous consequences.

The experimental drug, SRT-1720, that prolongs the life of fat mice by reducing the amount of fat in the liver and thereby increasing the sensitivity to insulin may eventually lead to useful treatments. But I have come to fear the worst for the influence of the news upon the expectations of an obese society dependent upon drugs.