Six specialists including a psychologist, psychotherapist, work place specialist and social entrepreneur with expertise spanning philosophy, public policy and economics conducted a three month experiment to improve happiness levels of a town in Great Britian. The intent was to instill 10 steps to happiness with fifty volunteers who spread this to others in a ripple effect. The 10 steps to happiness are based upon best knowledge and research.
- Plant something and nuture it
- Count your blessings - at least five - at the end of each day
- Take time to talk - have an hour-long conversation with a loved one each week
- Phone a friend whom you have not spoken to for a while and arrange to meet up
- Give yourself a treat every day and take time to really enjoy it
- Have a good laugh at least once a day
- Get physical - exercise for half an hour three times a week
- Smile at and/or say hello to a stranger at least once each day
- Cut your TV viewing by half
- Spread some kindness - do a good turn for someone every day
The results will be reported in a documentary series on BBC Television.